1 Tulua Butter Masala
½ cup idli or aborio rice (120g)
50g grated cheese (parmesan or cheddar)
1L vegetable oil
Panko bread crumbs
White flour (maida)
Green Chilli Mayonaise:
½ tablespoon dijon mustard
2 green chillies finely sliced
3 tablespoons chopped mint
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil
Cook the rice filling:
- In a small pot bring 2 litres of water to a simmer.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat butter masala and rice with half cup water. Stir gently till the water has been absorbed.
- Continue this process until the rice is cooked and has risotto-like consistency.
- Add butter, cream and cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour out rice onto a flat tray and cool in the fridge for 4-8 hours.
- Remove rice from the fridge and roll it into 10 evenly sized logs.
- In a shallow bowl- add 2 eggs with a little water.
- In 2 separate plates- add breadcrumbs and Maida.
- To crumb croquettes, roll you rice log in flour, then in egg wash and next in bread crumbs. Repeat until all croquettes are crumbed.
- Heat vegetable oil until 180C or until a small piece of bread crumb immediately rises to the surface when dropped in oil.
- Fry, drain and serve
- Eat with green chilli mayonnaise.
For Mint Mayo:
- In a bow, add cracked egg, mustard, green chilli, garlic, lemon juice and salt.
- Using a stick blender- blend until smooth.
- Slowly add oil and continue blending until the oil incorporated.
- Check for seasoning. Add lemon juice if necessary.